For you Korean drama lovers, of course, you are no stranger to this one snack.
This snack often appears in every Korean drama. Tteokbokki is a Korean food made from rice flour and cooked with Gochujang sauce.
At first, this food came from the Joseon Dynasty cuisine called gungjung tteokbokki.
At that time, this food was in the form of huintteok cooked in soy sauce with beef, green bean sprouts, carrots, onions, bagogari, and other ingredients.
The taste is very much different from Ttoekbokki which is now famous for its spicy seasoning.
Here is an easy recipe to make delicious Ttoekbokki
Rice cake ingredients ( Tteok):
- 5 tbsp rice flour
- 4 tbsp tapioca flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 100 ml of water
Gochujang sauce ingredients:
- 3 medium dry anchovies 1
- 1 sheet of dried seaweed
- 2 onions
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 15 grams of odeng or fish balls
- Gochujang according to taste
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 2 spring onions
- 3 hard-boiled eggs
- 1 1/2 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- Cooking oil to taste
How to make Ttoekbokki:
- Roast rice flour and mix with tapioca flour and salt. Pour hot water little by little, stir and knead until the dough is finished. Then divide the dough according to taste.
- Boil rice cakes in boiling water until fluffy. Remove and let stand in cold water then drain.
- Boil anchovies, kombu, 1/4 onion, garlic with 3 cups of water until boiling.
- Strain the broth and heat over medium heat. Add fish balls, cook for 5 minutes. Combine gochujang, chili powder, and soy sauce in a small bowl.
- Heat the oil then add the tteok, cook for 5 minutes while turning it over. Add thin slices of onion and garlic. Cook until soft
- Enter the Gochujang sauce mixture, stir until evenly distributed.
- Add the anchovy broth and fish balls into the tteok that is being cooked.
- Stir occasionally until the gravy thickens and the tteok starts to soften, add the chopped scallions before removing the tteok.
- Pour the tteok into a plate, add the boiled egg and toasted sesame. Homemade tteokbokki is ready to be enjoyed.
That's the recipe how to make simple and delicious tteobokki.